Adaptive Kayaking Open House at Hotel Cascada
sponsored by Kayak New Mexico 501(c)3, a tax-exempt non-profit corporation
Adaptive Kayaking builds courage, confidence and character for people with physical or developmental disabilities one stroke at a time! Our motto “Come as you are!” encourages people of all ages and abilities to come kayaking with us! Whether the goals are physical, cognitive, social or emotional, adaptive kayaking can assist individuals on their journey to a superior quality of life! By adaptive the environment, equipment or teaching method, we are able to accommodate most people into our programs!
“Shaun had such a great time [in the adaptive kayaking program] & I see such a difference in him today. You, your volunteers & teachers do a great job. You’re providing a safety net for him right now & that is what he needs to grow. I can’t tell you enough how much we appreciate what you are doing for Shaun!”
— Loretta H., Albuquerque, NM
Upon completion of the adaptive kayaking programs, our students are invited to join the broader paddling community as a continuation of their learning, and ultimately helping our adaptive paddling students strive toward independence in an inclusive community environment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is there a minimum age to participate?
A: No, the park has something for everyone. Small children may enjoy kayaking with mom or dad, or being pushed or pulled around in their kayak throughout the Lazy River
Q: Does my support person have to pay?
A: Participants will also have access to the lazy river for kayaking, water slides and smaller feature pools, all included in the nominal price. That said, anyone in a swimming suit (including support) will need to pay to use the facility.
Q: Can we sign up for more than one date or more than one block of time in a day?
A: Absolutely! Register for as many dates or times as you wish. To sign up for multiple times, resubmit the form each time (hint: hit the ‘backspace’ button after submitting the form to reload submitted information, change dates and/or times and resubmit)
Q: My child is not a strong swimmer. Can we still participate?
A: Here is some information that may help you decide:
1) Life jackets are required any time we are kayaking (even in a pool).
2) Anyone needing a life jacket for swimming is welcome to wear one, or bring your own.
3) The Lazy River is ~2.5ft deep.
4) Hotel Cascada has no less than 11 lifeguards on staff any time the facility is open.
5) There are other shallow pools and ways to participate.
6) If you child needs support, come prepared to support them.
Q: Do you offer low-income scholarships?
A: Contact me directly. We are seeking corporate sponsors and private donors who can offset the cost for those who qualify for reduced/free meal plans at public schools. While these scholarships are not in place at this time, we will work on this until the time the event(s) begin.
Q: Why register online?
A: Pre-registration will facilitate the check-in process. While “drop-ins” are welcome, they will need to sign a waiver (for each participant), pay the entry fee, etc., which may take more time. Adaptive Kayaking Open House events are not open to the general public but family and peers are welcome to participate!
- Choose one or more dates:
– January 21, 2016
– February 18, 2016
– March 17, 2016
– April 21, 2016
– May 19, 2016
– August 18, 2016
– September 15, 2016
– October 20, 2016
– November 17, 2016
– December 15, 2016
- Choose one or more times:
4:00 – 6:00pm
5:00 – 7:00pm
6:00 – 8:00pm
7:00 – 9:00pm
- Decide who will participate:
PRE-registration: $10 per person for a 2-hr block of time.1
Day-of-event registration: $15 per person for a 2-hr block of time.
– Anyone in a swimming suit, whether kayaking, assisting, supporting, or otherwise, should pay.
– Observers (in street clothes) do not pay.
– Price includes full access to the water park, including water slides, feature pools and lazy river, as well as kayaks and all equipment.1Upon submission of the registration form below, you will receive a PayPal invoice for the registration fee. It is not necessary to have a PayPal account; PayPal merely processes the transaction. To receive the pre-registration discount, your invoice must be paid in full one day before the start of the event (ie: the date shown on the item description). Open balances or registration received the day of the event will be charged the full price. Payments received are non-refundable and are used to offset the cost for hosting the event on that date, however, they may be transferred to a different time on the same date, to another person or used as a scholarship for those in need.
- Sign up! Advanced registration is highly recommended! It will save check-in time on the day of the event and allow you to spend more time in the water! Register using the online registration form below. Upon registration, you’ll receive a PayPal invoice for each person attending. Once paid in full, you will receive an email confirmation and waiver. Each person entering the water will need their own waiver. Waivers should be signed by a legal guardian when applicable.
- Bring Support! Children less than 14 years old with special needs, or anyone needing support in routine daily activities must be accompanied by an adult in the water. This is for the safety of all participants.
“Because of his disability, there are very few activities that Kevin can participate in and feel successful in. He has motor dyspraxia and ideation apraxia, which in laymen terms means he has difficulty planning and executing motor movements. It usually requires hand-over-hand for Kevin to learn a new motor pattern. So Kevin is more successful with an activity that uses the same motor pattern over and over again. That is one reason kayaking had been suggested to me. I think that kayaking would be an activity that Kevin would really enjoy. He often looks out over our fence as if wishing he could go out into the world and experience things like everyone else. You gave him the opportunity to do that on Saturday. I can’t thank you enough!”
— Pat P., Albuquerque, NM