Kayak New Mexico, Inc. 501(c)3 is a volunteer run, tax-exempt non-profit corporation
Currently Scheduled Adaptive Kayaking Open Houses:
January 27, 2018 – Rio Rancho Aquatic Center – 6:00pm to 7:45pm
Adaptive Kayaking Locations:
Rio Rancho Aquatic Center – 745 Loma Colorado Dr NE, Rio Rancho, NM 87124 (1/2 mile south of Northern Blvd on Loma Colorado)
Hotel Cascada Water Park – 2500 Carlisle Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110 (just north of I40 on Carlisle)
Adaptive Kayaking builds courage, confidence and character, one stroke at at time, for people with physical or developmental disabilities! Our motto “Come as you are!” encourages people of all ages and abilities to come kayaking with us! Whether the goals are physical, cognitive, social or emotional, adaptive kayaking can assist individuals on their journey to a superior quality of life! By adapting the environment, equipment, or teaching method, we are able to accommodate most people into our programs!
“Shaun had such a great time [in the adaptive kayaking program] & I see such a difference in him today. You, your volunteers & teachers do a great job. You’re providing a safety net for him right now & that is what he needs to grow. I can’t tell you enough how much we appreciate what you are doing for Shaun!”
— Loretta H., Albuquerque, NM
Upon completion of the adaptive kayaking programs, our students are invited to join the broader paddling community as a continuation of their learning, and ultimately helping our adaptive paddling students strive toward independence in an inclusive community environment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Does my support person have to pay?
A: Anyone in a swimming suit (including support) will need to pay to use the facility.
Q: Can we sign up for more than one date or more than one block of time in a day?
A: Absolutely! Register for as many dates or times as you wish. To sign up for multiple times, resubmit the form each time (hint: hit the ‘backspace’ button after submitting the form to reload submitted information, change dates and/or times and resubmit)
Q: My child is not a strong swimmer. Can we still participate?
A: Here is some information that may help you decide:
1) Life jackets are required any time we are kayaking (even in a pool).
2) Anyone needing a life jacket for swimming is welcome to wear one, or bring your own.
3) There are other shallow pools and ways to participate.
4) If you child needs support, come prepared to support them.
Q: Why register online?
A: Pre-registration will facilitate the check-in process. While “drop-ins” are welcome, they will need to sign a waiver (for each participant), pay the entry fee, etc., which may take more time. Adaptive Kayaking Open House events are not open to the general public but family and peers are welcome to participate!
Choose one or more dates:
January 27, 2018 – Rio Rancho Aquatic Center
Choose one or more times:
4:00 – 6:00pm (Hotel Cascada Only)
5:00 – 7:00pm (Hotel Cascada Only)
6:00 – 8:00pm
Decide who will participate:
PRE-registration: $10 per person for a 2-hr block of time.
Day-of-event registration: $15 per person for a 2-hr block of time.
– Anyone in a swimming suit, whether kayaking, assisting, supporting, or otherwise, should pay.
– Observers (in street clothes) do not pay.
– Price includes full access to the water park, including water slides, feature pools and lazy river (Hotel Cascada only), as well as kayaks and all equipment. Upon submission of the registration form below, you will receive a PayPal invoice for the registration fee about a week before the day of the event. It is not necessary to have a PayPal account; PayPal merely processes the transaction. To receive the pre-registration discount, your invoice must be paid in full by noon of the day of the event. Open balances or registration received the day of the event will be charged the full price ($15.00 per participant). Payments received are non-refundable and are used to offset the cost for hosting the event on that date, however, they may be transferred to a different time on the same date (Hotel Cascada only), to another person, or used as a scholarship for those in need.
Sign up! Advanced registration is highly recommended! It will save check-in time on the day of the event and allow you to spend more time in the water! Register using the online registration form below. Upon registration, you’ll receive a PayPal invoice about a week before the day of the event. Once paid in full, you will receive an email confirmation.
Bring Support! Children less than 13 years old with special needs, or anyone needing support in routine daily activities must be accompanied by an adult in the water. This is for the safety of all participants.
Sign our annual online waiver! All participants and observers must sign our annual online waiver. One adult may sign a waiver for any amount of minors. If two parents/guardians are entering the facility, the second parent/guardian must sign a waiver individually for himself/herself. If you do not have an online waiver on file within the last year, please copy and past the link to a new tab or window before registering below. http://www.smartwaiver.com/v/knmwaiver
“Because of his disability, there are very few activities that Kevin can participate in and feel successful in. He has motor dyspraxia and ideation apraxia, which in laymen terms means he has difficulty planning and executing motor movements. It usually requires hand-over-hand for Kevin to learn a new motor pattern. So Kevin is more successful with an activity that uses the same motor pattern over and over again. That is one reason kayaking had been suggested to me. I think that kayaking would be an activity that Kevin would really enjoy. He often looks out over our fence as if wishing he could go out into the world and experience things like everyone else. You gave him the opportunity to do that on Saturday. I can’t thank you enough!”
— Pat P., Albuquerque, NM